When you join the National Collegiate Honors Council, you become part of an international community of educational institutions, professionals, and students who are passionate about advancing honors education. NCHC is the oldest and largest organization made up of honors educators and students. Its members know that honors is as diverse as the campuses we serve, and that diversity gives you both a global perspective and a unified voice to support honors right where you are - in your classroom and on your campus. Read on to see how NCHC membership gives you connections and tools you won't find anywhere else!
Did you know that roughly 65% of all honors programs in the United States are members of the NCHC? With nearly 900 institutional members, the National Collegiate Honors Council is the leading professional association for those who provide college-level honors education. When your institution joins NCHC, you'll receive:
Connection to a National Honors Network
- Direct communications from the NCHC Office about honors-related opportunities and trends in national and international honors education
- Immediate access to the NCHC Publications Library, including scholarly journals and monographs containing the latest honors-related research
- Online access to members-only content and discussion forums that connect you to a worldwide network of honors professionals
- Research, toolkits, and other NCHC resources to support, build, and advocate for honors programming
- Member discounts for national networking events and trainings (including a 50% Member Discount for the NCHC Annual Conference, filled with hundreds of sessions for honors administrators, faculty, staff, and students), plus a GEICO member discount.
- Opportunities to participate nationally on NCHC Committees, the NCHC Board of Directors, or as an NCHC Program Reviewer; and voting rights in NCHC Elections
Robust Professional Development Opportunities
- Access to workshops on teaching/learning issues run by experienced honors professionals
- The support of a carefully designed program review process that can help enhance your honors program or college
- Specialized training on assessment and evaluation of honors education
- Opportunities to establish mentor relationships with national and international leaders in honors education
Extensive Year Round Opportunities for Students
- Sharing work at the national conference, networking with other honors students, and specialized training in fellowships
- Participation in signature experiential learning programming like Partners in the Parks and Honors Semesters experiences
- Competition for national awards that recognize student achievement
- Service as a member of the NCHC Board
Honors Visibility on the National Stage
- Opportunities to publish honors research in peer-reviewd journals or present research at national conferences and workshops
- Promotion for your honors program or college in the NCHC Online Guide - the only comprehensive guide to honors programs and colleges in the United States
- Member recognition and celebration of your honors accomplishments on a national and international stage
- Advocacy for your program and its resources through national survey data and individual NCHC Program Review and consultation opportunities
Funding Support for Honors Research & Initiatives
- Scholarship and fellowship opportunities for students participating in NCHC member programs like Partners in the Parks, Honors Semesters, and annual conferences
- Faculty Awards and Recognitions for distinguished service to honors education
- Grant support for programs engaging in NCHC Program Reviews or other innovative honors activities
Institutional membership is open to institutions of higher learning as well as to other private and public organizations supportive of honors education.
If your institution is a member, why would you need an individual Professional membership?
That's easy. An NCHC Professional Membership affords you all the benefits under your institutional membership, with additional perks and resources for your personal investment!
- Direct Connection to NCHC: Professional members receive email communication about NCHC news and events direct to their inbox. No waiting for forwarded information! You’ll receive your own digital access or physical copy of NCHC Publications, and access to the Members-Only segment of our website. You’ll also receive voting rights in NCHC Elections. Excellent for faculty, associate directors, and other decision makers in your program that would benefit from NCHC's resources.
- Exclusive Training Access: Throughout the year, the NCHC will be posting webinars and toolkits designed just for our professional members. Get access to these valuable information bites with your professional membership, as well as access to private communities and discussion forums on some of the most pressing issues in honors education.
- Conference Perks: If you attend the NCHC Annual Conference, you’ll receive special recognition as a professional member of the organization and a thank you for your investment in NCHC’s mission.
Professional membership is open to college and university faculty members, administrators, and professional staff and to others at an NCHC Member Institution engaged in professions related to education.
Affiliate membership is open to professional educators retired from their educational positions and to former honors students no longer affiliated with a college or university honors program or honors college. Those interested in honors education but not affiliated with an educational organization may also qualify for Affiliate Membership. Please contact the NCHC Office at email@example.com or 402-472-9150 for further details.
For just $35, honors students at NCHC member institutions can access a variety of special membership benefits from NCHC that will help to get the most out of a collegiate honors experience! NCHC Student Members have access to:
- National Recognition: NCHC student members are eligible to apply multiple competitive honors scholarships, incluing the prestigious NCHC Student of the Year Award, given at the Annual Conference!
- Graduation Regalia: If you are graduating from honors this year, NCHC Seniors can purchase a Green & Gold NCHC graduation cord for $10. If you're a paid student member for 2019 and a graduating senior, you can receive a cord for free! Just have your honors director send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org confirming that you are graduating in good standing, and the NCHC Office will ship you a keepsake cord.
- Notification of Events & Scholarships: Student members receive direct communications from the NCHC office about student events, conference information, scholarships, awards, and more.
- NCHC Involvement: As a Student Member, you can run for a student position on the NCHC Board of Directors. You can also connect to honors students around the globe on the NCHC social media pages, to ask questions and discuss issues!
Student membership is open to all undergraduate students who participate in honors programs or colleges at NCHC Member Institutions.