54th NCHC Annual Conference | November 6-10, 2019 | New Orleans, LA
Many educators speak of the innovation or “creativity crisis” currently afflicting U.S. education: a lack of these qualities in faculty pedagogy and student experiences. If creativity and innovation have lost their places in education, but are deemed necessary, can honors provide solutions?
Join us in New Orleans to discover how honors, creativity, and innovation intertwine at NCHC19!
- Hundreds of sessions and workshops for honors, by honors! Topics for administrators, faculty, staff, and students
- Sponsors and vendors sharing information about graduate program and internship opportunities, classroom technologies, honor societies, study abroad excursions, and more
- A new view of the city of New Orleans, through excursions by Partners in the Parks and City as Text™
- Networking with old friends and new colleagues, to grow your community of honors professionals and contacts
- CAT: New Orleans Master Class: An opportunity for faculty with prior City as Text™ experience (through a Place as Text Faculty Institute) to engage in an intensive exploration of New Orleans prior to the 2019 Annual Conference. (November 3-6, details here)
- Post-Conference Workshop: "Play, Performance and Improvisation: Tools to Maximize Creative and Developmental Pedagogy" with Lois Holzman. This hands-on workshop will introduce you to an approach to teaching and learning that taps into the human capacity to play, pretend, perform—in other words, to be “ourselves” and “not ourselves” at the same time. Based in a synthesis of performative psychology and social approaches to learning, improvisational and unscripted learning crosses academic disciplines, gives teachers new ways to deliver content, and engages students intellectually and emotionally in new ways. Experience the practicality, power and fun of building the ensemble, performing as expert, playing with theory, and much more. ($150 Workshop Fee)
Early Bird rate: $435
Standard rate: $485
for all faculty and staff NCHC Members, or employees of Member Institutions
Early Bird rate: $385
Standard rate: $485
for all undergraduate-level students enrolled in an NCHC Member Institution
NCHC19 Nonmember rate: $970
for all nonmembers. Please proceed as "Guest" during registration.
Interested in joining NCHC and receiving a 50% Discount? Contant firstname.lastname@example.org!
Plenary Speaker: Lynda Barry
Lynda Barry has worked as a painter, cartoonist, writer, illustrator, playwright, editor, commentator and teacher and found they are very much alike. The New York Times has described Barry as "among this country’s greatest conjoiners of words and images, known for plumbing all kinds of touchy subjects in cartoons, comic strips and novels, both graphic and illustrated."
Barry is currently Associate Professor in Interdisciplinary Creativity, Director of the Image Lab at the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery, and the Chazen Family Distinguished Chair in Art at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.